[TOPIC] How can I get my 4 yo to eat healthier meals?

Discussion in 'Pre-Schoolers' started by Ashtemp, Dec 9, 2015.

1. How can I get my 4 yo to eat healthier meals? He's being tested for autism, and he doesn't talk yet. He won't eat any tyoe of sandwich, and picks out every vegetable he sees. I tried pureeing veggies into sauces but lately he only eats crunchy food, like toast and nuggets. He won't touch pasta or anything mushy. I will ask a professional, but what can I do in the meantime? His appointment isn't until January. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated

2. Hi @Ashtemp,
    Welcome to our Autism Community.

Yours is a common problem when it comes to integrating a right diet plan for a child with Autism - so much so that picky eating has been incorporated as one of the many symptoms of Autism.

Yes, visiting a professional is a great idea; I would also suggest that you see a dietitian for 2 reasons:
    • The dietitian can suggest food with the right nutritional value that your child might actually enjoy eating.
    • If your son is not getting the right level of nutrition due to his picky eating habits, the dietitian can actually offer supplements that can actually offset the missing nutrients in your son's current food habits.
    Regardless, there is only one solution to your current problem - a lot of hard work from your side (unfortunately there are no quick wins here :()

I would strongly recommend that you check out the following 2 links:
    1. An appropriate Diet Plan for Autism: This calls out the kind of meals that your child should and should NOT be having. For example, if pasta is what you are after, explore the gluten free options if possible.
    2. Getting your child to eat the right kind of food: This is a pretty comprehensive guide from Autism Speaks LLC. There is nothing that your pediatrician (or Autism therapist) would suggest that is not included here.
    Note: In the second link, there is a suggestion to use visual tools. I have uploaded a token board visual tool that might help your child in this particular case (refer to the attachments section). For a full list of visual tools, check out the Autism Resources Section by clicking here. It requires you to be a member for download..

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

3. Thank you! That is very helpful

4. Not a problem, glad it helped :). If you need any other help or advice, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

5. How can i train my 3 Yrs old kid to eat other foid aside from fried chicken and fries?