Job Advice? How do I better educate my adult students as a Aspie Myself?

Discussion in 'Career & Profession' started by IAmCatMan, Feb 28, 2018.

1. So I am a Autistic Man who was chosen to Educate other Mentally Disabled Adults due to his intellect. The problem it is hard to find good material on how to help disabled adults and even less on how to teach them Fine Art. (We are an experimental program) As such I am often forced to just go with the flow?

2. Could you be more specific? I'm autistic. I'm also a professional educator with 27 years of experience. I hold dual certification as an elementary and secondary teacher. I have a Master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction. I have also taught in rural, inner city, and suburban public schools as well as international private schools abroad. I have even earned supplemental pay teaching adult education courses as part of a community education program.

It would help if I knew what you were actually teaching. Surely your course has a title?

Are you part of an established school system? If so, there should be curriculum for you to use. You could check with the school's curriculum and instruction department. If nothing else, if you're in the United States, google your state's education department at the state level and look for your state's instructional standards. The standards delineate what you're supposed to teach. If you have access to curriculum, the teacher's guide should have sequenced lessons.