One of the common challenges that parents face, on a day to day basis, is How to get their child (with Autism) more organized whilst improving their communication and social interaction skills?
Today, I will share with you just 1 of the 43 different ways that you can use Picture Exchange Communication Systems (or PECS) to rapidly improve your child’s organization skills.
This technique is called Visual Schedules. So let’s get started, shall we?
What are Visual Schedules?
There are at least 11 different types of Visual Schedules used by PECS practitioners. The simplest one, which I will share with you today is called the Horizontal Now > Then > Later Sequence board.
Now > Then > Later Visual Schedule?
With a Now >> Then >> Later Board, you can define a set of 3 activities that will happen in sequence. A simple example of that could be a morning chore to help your child get ready for school.
How to use a Now > Then > Later Visual Board?
With the free PECS that you have received, you can start creating basic visual schedules straightaway. All you need is a Printable Template which I will share now. Follow this approach:
- Download the FREE Schedule Template from the Resource box I have shared above (or click this link). It has many pages with identical layout.
- Print a copy
- Plan the common activities that you want to create visuals for (to keep things simple, start with 2 or 3 ideas)
- Go to your Free PECS library and search from those 121 available PECS and print the PECS you need.
- Stick the PECS on the schedule with blue tacks, sticky tapes or glue, to create a board.
- Paste the board somewhere prominent for your child to see.
- If the board becomes really useful, think of laminating the same.
That’s it! Your journey begins now 🙂 . Good Luck!
Latest posts by Ash (see all)
- Can Your Child’s Eye Movements Help You Visualize their Future Well-Being? - August 17, 2017
- Can Dual Diagnosis Offer the Right Solution for ADHD and Autism Symptoms Diagnosis? - August 14, 2017
- Erratic Behavior: Do you End up Blaming Autistic Child’s Parents? - August 10, 2017
- Can Social Mask be a Cause for Under Diagnosis of Autistic Girls? - August 8, 2017
- What Does It Look Like For an Individual to Be Autistic? - August 3, 2017